Your first visit to PHM Orthodontists involves a few special steps so that we can get to know you. To understand what to expect, please read through this page. You'll find all the practical information you need, such as a map and directions to our office, practice hours, payment policies and more. There's also background information about our committed staff and our first visit procedures. You can also save some time by printing out and completing the patient forms in advance of your appointment.
Welcome to the offices of Drs. Hanson, Payne, and Melugin!
We have orthodontic offices in Waukesha (Town of Brookfield) and New Berlin, Wisconsin. Our primary concern is to serve our patients and to provide timely, professional, quality care with a personal and friendly touch. We encourage patients to be actively involved in their treatment and strive to improve their self-esteem and quality of life.
We would like to be known as the practice of choice for orthodontic care and for professional fulfillment.
Our underlying principles to accomplish this:
- Treat patients and each other as we would like to be treated
- Be aware of and respect the patient's individual needs
- Be gentle, caring and understanding
- Strive for excellence in all areas
- Inform patients and parent of treatment progress at each appointment
- Offer the most recent advancements in orthodontic care
- Give back to the community and profession by involvement in education, both formally and informally
- Foster open communication and trust
- Work together as a team
- Recognize and respect the unique talents and characteristics of each other
- Develop our potential through education and training
- Strive to become self-directed, self-motivated and assume greater responsibility
First Visit Checklist
The following is a checklist of important information that we would like you to bring to your initial exam:
- Name, address and phone number of family dentist
- Name, address and phone number of physician
- Name, address, phone number and social security number of person(s) responsible for account
- Orthodontic insurance information:
- name of person insured
- birthday of person insured
- social security of person insured
- employer's name and address (if applicable)
- insurance company address and group number
The complete patient medical and dental history will be taken at the initial exam by our treatment coordinator. Thank you for your cooperation!
The First Appointment
Examination: The first appointment is an examination, which allows us to get acquainted with and determine the basic nature of each patient's situation
Diagnostic Records: If orthodontic treatment is determined to be the best option, further diagnostic information is required. This information includes:
- photographs of mouth and face
- a cephalometric x-ray (x-ray of the head) showing the relative positioning of the teeth and supporting structures
- an accurate set of models of the patient's teeth and surrounding structures
The Second Appointment
Consultation: This appointment is designed to acquaint you with the nature and extent of your individual situation and the plan of treatment that we will pursue based upon the information gathered in the first appointment. The objectives, methods and duration of treatment will be discussed and any further questions may be answered.
Please print and fill out these forms so we can expedite your first visit:
In order to view or print these forms you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. Click here to download it:
What To Expect
Your initial consultation will give you the opportunity to meet our team, learn more about orthodontics, receive a complete initial exam, and find out which treatment options will best meet your needs.
Being well-prepared for your appointment will ensure that the doctor has all of the needed information to provide the best possible care for you. It also will help relieve any unnecessary anxiety you may be feeling. Educate yourself on your symptoms by reviewing the content on this Web site. Also, take some time to review our staff page and familiarize yourself with the doctors. We look forward to your first visit.
We are pleased for those of our patients who have orthodontic coverage. Most insurance policies pay a portion of the fee and request predetermination of benefits prior to initiating treatment. We accept almost all insurance plans unless they require you to go to specific orthodontists.
If you have orthodontic insurance coverage, please provide our office with complete insurance information. As a service to you, we will gladly verify your orthodontic insurance benefit and review this at your appointment.
We offer complimentary examination appointments, diagnostic records, and consultation appointments.
We accept almost all insurance unless you are required to go to specific orthodontists. We file claims for patients and accept insurance payments for your convenience.
A portion of the fee after down payment and insurance benefit are deducted, can be paid monthly over the estimated length of treatment at zero percent interest. We offer very flexible payment plans for those with good credit ratings.
In addition, discounts are available for paying in full at the start of treatment, or for more than one family member in treatment at the same time.
We also accept credit card payments.